Apply Online:Get started on your new career, the first step is to provide us with your name and email below.
Compression & Process
Startec Refrigeration Compression & Process Solutions is a thriving privately owned company headquartered in Calgary that produces custom mission critical compression and refrigeration systems for a variety of industries. Startec devotes their industry leading expertise in refrigeration & compression technologies to solve their clients’ most technically challenging needs. We create reliable solutions for extreme operating conditions and provide exceptional service, which is a cornerstone of our business.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager the Project Engineer provides detailed engineering services for the design and construction of gas compression, refrigeration, and gas processing packages. This position manages all the technical and manufacturing issues on multiple projects. The Project Engineer will provide engineering support to the service department during equipment commissioning and start-up and assist with direction, development and improvement of the Engineering department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar with petroleum or process experience
- P. Eng (APEGA) or Professional Licensee (APEGA)
- 4-8 years’ experience in compression, refrigeration, gas processing and packaging/manufacturing
- Efficient knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint)
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with customers, vendors, designers and fabrication staff.
- A good understanding of process simulation software e.g. HYSYS, VMG, ASME/ANSI/API codes, good knowledge of CSA codes.
- Assist the Project Manager to resolve any project issues
- Ensure quality and integrity of product design; this can include stamping of required drawings (P&ID, Line List, PSV, Table, Piping registration)
- Complete engineering deliverables on time and on budget
- Ensure packages are built to agreed specifications
- Maintain and update the project scheduler
- Understand the proposal and the client’s specifications that have been accepted
- Review process simulation
- Supervise the designers to prepare drawings, prepare draft P&ID’s, bill of materials and issue to purchasing
- Arrange and chair in-house 3D model review meeting
- Prepare all project operating and maintenance manuals
- Participate in the final P&ID walkthrough and signoff of manufacturing commissioning sheet
- Participate in the project closeout and start-up, lessons learned meeting and provide feedback to the Project Manager
- Supervise third party engineering providers
- Review and approve all drawings and procedures for document control
- Communicate effectively with various project personnel and provide technical insight for resolution of problems.
- Work collaboratively with various departments (Engineering, Project Management, Drafting, Sales, QC, Fabrication, Purchasing, Document Control and Service.
- Review all customer specifications that are applied to the project, ensure the package as sold complies and is built to the agreed specifications.
- Review process simulation, check or perform all major equipment sizing, vessel, compressor, driver, separators, pumps, filters and heat exchanges.
- Perform any additional process design including simulation to determine pipe sizing and equipment blow-down rates.
- Prepare vessel datasheets, perform sketch of internals, determine nozzle size and location, supervise vessel design ensuring vessel drawings are approved and issued to meet project requirements.
- Prepare equipment datasheets (Vessels, Exchangers, Pumps)
- Prepare and issue purchase requisitions to the purchasing group as required and obtain comparative pricing for equipment where agreed.
- Prepare draft P&ID’s, review the P&ID checklist and submit the P&ID to customer and arrange for any revisions.
- Perform detailed sizing of PSV’s, control valves, instrumentation and ensure material selection, electrical classification and certificate requirements are met.
- Issue BOM to purchasing, customer, Designer and arrange for any revisions.
- Work with the Design team during preparation of the 3D model, GA, structural drawings and spool drawings following customer specific requests and/or in-house specifications.
- Prepare weight estimates, select the preliminary structural beam sizes and communicate with the third party structural engineer for optimization and final approval.
- Prepare control philosophy and Shutdown key.
- Participate in safety studies such as HAZOP’s as required.
- Capture and define the scope of project change orders and communicate them to the Project Manager.
- Ensure “As-Build” documentation is prepared and is accurate with the project documentation.
- Complete the project “ship loose list” in conjunction with manufacturing.
We offer competitive wages, training, flexibility, and a dynamic and exciting work environment.
It is mandatory for all applicants to complete the Pro.file People Survey below when submitting their application. Please proceed using the link below:
We thank you for your application and interest in our organization. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.