Apply Online:Get started on your new career, the first step is to provide us with your name and email below.
Compression & Process
Startec Refrigeration Compression & Process Solutions is a thriving privately owned company headquartered in Calgary that produces custom mission critical compression and refrigeration systems for a variety of industries. Startec devotes their industry leading expertise in refrigeration & compression technologies to solve their clients’ most technically challenging needs. We create reliable solutions for extreme operating conditions and provide exceptional service, which is a cornerstone of our business.
We are looking for a dynamic Senior Project Engineer to join our growing team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager the Project Engineer is responsible for all project engineering and project management required to deliver gas compression and process packages on budget and on schedule.
- 8+ years Project Management experience preferably in the oil and gas industry
- A background in plant operations or gas compression is required
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP or PMI)
- Knowledge of process simulation software e.g. Hysis, VMG
- Good knowledge of ASME / ANSI / API Codes, knowledge of CSA Codes, knowledge of Code requirements for overseas customers is desirable
- Efficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint), Strong technical, analytical and problem solving capabilities
- Experience with sizing and selection for all parts and equipment of packages
- Ability to work well with customers, vendors, designers and fabrication staff
- Strong communication skills with a good ability to influence, negotiate and resolve conflict
- Capable of working with minimal direct supervision
- Supervision of projects
- Assists the Project Manager to resolve conflict as required.
- Communicates clearly with various project personnel and provides technical insight for resolution of problems.
- Provides guidance and technical direction to the Junior Project Engineers and Engineering Technologists.
- As required by the Engineering Manager, takes responsibility for areas of the technical direction and development of the engineering department including drafting.
- Ensures appropriate quality and integrity of product design, including taking responsibility for the stamping of required drawings (P&ID, Line List, PSV Table, Piping Registration, Etc.).
- Acts as one of the Responsible Members for company’s permit to practice for APEGA.
- Communicates effectively between various departments.
- Completes engineering deliverables on time and on budget.
- Reviews all customer specifications that are applied to the project, ensures package as sold and as built to customer agreed specifications.
- Is responsible to update the project “Scheduler” and ensures engineering deliverables are completed.
- Is responsible for understanding the Proposal and the clients’ project specifications that have been accepted.
- Reviews the process simulation, checks or performs all major equipment sizing – vessel- compressor, driver, separators, pumps, filters, heat exchangers, Etc.
- Performs any additional process design including simulation to determine pipe sizing, equipment blow-down rates, Etc.
- Prepares vessel datasheets, performs sketch of internals, determines nozzle size and location, supervises vessel design, ensures vessel drawings are approved and issued to meet the project requirements.
- Prepares equipment datasheets (Vessels, Exchangers, Pumps, Etc.).
- Prepares and issues purchase requisitions to purchasing group as required and obtains comparative pricing for equipment where agreed.
- Prepares draft P&IDs, supervises designers to prepare the drawing, arranges and chairs in-house P&ID review meeting going through P&ID checklist, submits P&ID to customer and arranges for revisions
- Prepares the Bill Of Material (BOM), performs detail sizing of PSVs, control valves, Instrumentations Etc. and insures material selection, electrical classification, certification requirements are met
- Issues BOM to purchasing, customer, designer and arrange for revisions.
- Supervises the designers during preparation of the 3D model, GA, structural drawing and spool drawings in following customer’s specific requests and customer or in-house specs.
- Prepares weight estimates, selects preliminary structural beam sizes and communicates with third party structural engineer for optimization and final approval.
- Arranges and chairs in-house 3D model review meeting with designers and manufacturing staff going through the design review checklist.
- Prepares Control philosophy, Shutdown key.
- Participates in safety studies such as HAZOP’s as required.
- Captures and defines the scope of project change orders and communicates them to the Project Manager.
- Prepares all project operating and maintenance manuals.
- Performs project final P&ID, walkthrough and signoff off our STA-ISO-010 Manufacturing Commissioning Sheet.
- Completes project “Ship Loose List” in conjunction with manufacturing.
- Participates in project “Closeout”, start-up and “Lessons Learned” meeting by providing feedback to Project Managers.
- Incorporates previous projects “Lessons Learned” into the engineering of current projects.
- Provides support to the Service group during equipment commissioning and start-up which can include potential trip to site.
- Prepares any other calculations and technical documentation as required.
- Supervises third party Engineering providers, review and approving all such work (Torsional analysis, Fugitive Emission Study, Stress Analysis, Vibration/Pulsation Study)
- Reviews, approves and issues, via Document Control, all drawings according to Startec drawing approval procedures and in following project schedule.
- Reviews and approves all vendor drawings in following project schedule.
We offer competitive wages, training, flexibility and a dynamic and exciting work environment.
It is mandatory for all applicants to complete the Pro.file People Survey below when submitting their application. Please proceed using the link below:
We thank you for your application and interest in our organization. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.