Apply Online:Get started on your new career, the first step is to provide us with your name and email below.
Startec is a thriving privately owned company headquartered in Calgary that produces custom mission critical compression and refrigeration systems for a variety of industries. Startec devotes their industry leading expertise in refrigeration & compression technologies to solve their clients’ most technically challenging needs. We create reliable solutions for extreme operating conditions and provide exceptional service, which is a cornerstone of our business.
We are currently looking for an experienced Assistant Controller to join our finance team.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Assistant Controller plays an important role in providing financial information and support to the Startec group of companies.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for assisting the Corporate Controller in the direction of the operational accounting functions. The position involves an ability to manage multiple and often conflicting priorities, simultaneous deadlines, and a rapidly evolving environment. The incumbent must work well under pressure and be able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- 5+ years of accounting experience combined with a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role
- CPA designation required
- Full cycle accounting experience in a similar industry (EPC, Oil & Gas construction)
- Experienced in ERP systems, previous Navision experience would be an asset
- Previous experience in Operations Accounting
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing work demands without compromising accuracy and quality of work while under pressure
- Must be able to handle large work volumes with tight deadlines
- Demonstrates strong communication skills both verbally and written and can build strong working relationships
- Strong computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced Excel skills
- Driven professional with a high level of initiative; demonstrates a proactive approach to problem solving
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the A/P and A/R functions and staff, including review of outputs (i.e. invoice coding, accuracy of billings, review cheque runs)
- Understand and support all aspects of the daily operations of the accounting team
- Complete the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close processes, including account analysis, and preparation of monthly reconciliations
- Responsible for the monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting
- Establish and maintain accounting principles, practices, and procedures
- Complete bank reconciliations
- Assist in the cash management activities establishing optimization ensuring appropriate reporting is produced including cash flow forecast
- Oversee monthly, quarterly and annual GST filings and other statutory reporting
- Streamline business processes to create reliable and timely delivery of information
- Assess business processes, identifying areas for improvement and implementing best practices
- Actively participate in implementing improved internal controls while optimizing workflows
- Maintain a strong internal control environment
- Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules
- Prepare ad hoc reports, financial reviews and special projects as required
- Participates in or leads financial accounting projects, monitoring deliverables to meet requirements and established deadlines
- Back-up to Controller during vacations
- Other duties as assigned
Please note: This position is a 12 Month contract position with the potential to lead to permanent F/T.
We offer competitive wages, training, flexibility and a dynamic and exciting work environment. Please forward your resume, quoting the job title above, in confidence to email@example.com
It is mandatory for all applicants to complete the Pro.file People Survey below when submitting their application. Please proceed using the link below:
We thank you for your application and interest in our organization. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.